Monday, May 21, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars : Book Review

The Fault in Our Stars
                
 Click for the Summary!

Title : The Fault in Our Stars

Series :  -
Author : John Green
Pages : 313
Release Date : Jan 10th 2012
Publisher : Dutton Books
Format : Harcover
Source :  Library - Borrowed







My Opinion :


I have previously read John Green's Paper Towns, and I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I liked it enough, but it didn't meet my expectations (and I was really sad about it... I guess I had to be the ONLY one who didn't really like Paper Towns or The Fault in Our Stars *sigh*).

The Fault in Our Stars has created a lot of buzz around the book blogging world (And I really don't know why... I mean... it was good, but not that good). And I don't get it. This book was a roller coaster of 'Liking' and 'Disliking' for me. There were moments I really loved about The Fault in Our Stars (like the funny comments from Hazel and Augustus), and others I didn't feel like needed to be there, or just weren't written well enough. The moments I liked the best about the books were when Hazel and Augustus talked weirdly. I liked how down-to-earth- they were, although... they were weirdly down to earth. Here's a quote that was so funny that I TOTALLY have to share it with you guys :

'' I think he's hurting her boobs'' I (Hazel) said. ''Yes, it's difficult to ascertain whether he is trying to arouse her or perform a breast exam'' (the last part was from Augustus) 
 John Green is funny in his videos AND in his books (although sometimes the book wasn't funny at all :S)

The story is about Hazel, a terminal for years cancer patient and Augustus, a ex-cancer patient. They are both down to earth (well.... weirdly down to earth). They speak weirdly (they use big words and are sarcastic and weird... although a good and funny weird :D). They met at a cancer support group. And they fell in love. Well, not that quickly, though! Then... sad things happen... *cries*

I actually cried while reading this book. I don't remember ever crying while reading a book. Ever. Now that'S something, right? And what's weird is, that I also laughed while reading the book (COMPLETE OPPOSITES!)

John Green's writing is... something. It has big UPS and big... downs... I loved some parts of the book, although there were loads hat I didn't really like and that felt endless and/or meaningless.

I kinda feel like I'm then only one who didn't LOVE The Fault in Our Stars (I hope I'm not... that would ABSOLUTELY suck)

Hazel and Augustus are really special characters. I just... I wanna talk to them in real life. They just seem so much fun, and I think I'd maybe be friends with them. Maybe.

The other characters didn't stand out that much. Except for maybe the stupid and always drunk author of Hazel's favorite book...

Anyways, I liked the book... but I wouldn't say I liked it that much... :S



RATING:

/
3.5 roses :S


Other books by the author :


*and other books*

Book Trailer :



Author Bio :


John GreenJohn Green's first novel, Looking for Alaska, won the 2006 Michael L. Printz Award presented by the American Library Association. The film rights to Looking for Alaska were purchased by Paramount in 2005. His second novel, An Abundance of Katherines, was a 2007 Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book and a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize. His next novel, Paper Towns, is a New York Times bestseller. He also coauthored a book with David Levithan called Will Grayson, Will Grayson

In 2007, John and his brother Hank were the hosts of a popular internet blog, "Brotherhood 2.0," where they discussed their lives, books and current events every day for a year except for weekends and holidays. They still keep a video blog, now called "The Vlog Brothers," which can be found on the Nerdfighters website.

2 comments:

  1. Besides the obvious fact that you own the book, this book finds a way into your heart and for some reason is very personal. You'll realize this while you're on your journey through it.

    It's funny, it's smart, it touching, heart warming and heart breaking. It makes you fall in love. And it reminds you that the words "till death do us apart" are wrong. It goes beyond that.
    John Green is a beautiful author and transforms the words into a motion picture.

    And in the famous words of Ron Wesley, "You'll suffer, but you'll be happy about it.

    ReplyDelete