Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Changeling : Book Review


Changeling (Order of Darkness, #1)
          
                Click for the Summary!

Title : Changeling
Series :  The Order of Darkness #1
Author : Philippa Gregory
Pages : 272
Release Date : May 29th 2012
Publisher : Simon Pulse / Simon & Schuster Canada
Format : ARC
Source :  
** This ARC was provided by S & S Canada in exchange of an honest review**







My Opinion:


Changeling is Philippa Gregory's Young Adult debut novel, although she has written quite a lot Adult bestselling books. And so, I think that was what intorested me the most about the book, since she had written Adult books that look popular, and I wanted to know if she could make a good Young Adult book.

The book turned out okay, although I thought it was really too slow-paced.


Changeling is about Isolde and Luca. Isolde is now a orphan, and her brother has changed, or maybe she didn't see it before, but he's evil and wants to get rid of her. And so, he sends her to the abbess or something religious like that. And then, Luca, some boy who's with the Church or something (as you can tell, I'm not really churcygious, oh huh, I mean religious), comes to that place that Isolde is now the boss of, because some people say there has been some pretty weird stuff going on there. And so, he comes investigate, and almost kills Isolde and her friend in the process of trying to stop the bad guy.

For me, Changeling was way too-slowpaced. I felt like I was living in a dream that got stuck and stuck again. Also, the book didn't really make the series go far, so I thought it was just pointless to make a book with this much information.

There just wasn't enough romance for me.

Isolde was annoying to me. A lot. I just AGHHHH! I didn't like her, and especially, the girl on the cover just reminds me of Rosalie in Twilight, and I kept picturing Isolde as a freaking vampire bitch! *sigh*

Luca was pretty okay, except for the fact that he was clueless the whole book and I thought he was like a puppet that the Church moved around like it wanted.

This book was just okay.


I have to admit, I was deceived, and I probably won't be buying myself the next book :S



RATING

.5
3.5 roses


Other book(s) by the author :



Book Trailer :


Author Bio : 


Philippa GregoryPhilippa Gregory was an established historian and writer when she discovered her interest in the Tudor period and wrote the novel The Other Boleyn Girl, which was made into a TV drama and a major film. Published in 2009, the bestselling The White Queen, the story of Elizabeth Woodville, ushered in a new series involving The Cousins’ War (now known as The War of the Roses) and a new era for the acclaimed author.

Gregory lives with her family on a small farm in Yorkshire, where she keeps horses, hens and ducks. Visitors to her site, www.PhilippaGregory.com become addicted to the updates of historical research, as well as the progress of her ducklings.

Her other great interest is the charity she founded nearly twenty years ago; Gardens for The Gambia. She has raised funds and paid for 140 wells in the primary schools of the dry, poverty stricken African country. Thousands of school children have learned market gardening, and drunk the fresh water in the school gardens around the wells.

A former student of Sussex University, and a PhD and Alumna of the Year 2009 of Edinburgh University, her love for history and her commitment to historical accuracy are the hallmarks of her writing. She also reviews for US and UK newspapers, and is a regular broadcaster on television, radio, and webcasts from her website. 

1 comment:

  1. Aww sorry to hear this book didn't live up to your hopes. I know a lot of people have been giving it really good reviews so I was thinking it was going to be good. Hate it when books are slow paced and don't have a lot going on.. Can't keep my interest and it takes me days to finish reading them. A sucky main character is just salt to the wound too! Hate that. Well, thanks for the honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete