Saturday, April 14, 2012

Under My Skin : Book Review


Under My Skin
                  
Click for the Summary!

Title : Under My Skin
Series :  Wildlings #1
Author : Charles de Lint
Pages : 409
Release Date : March 6th 2012
Publisher : Razorbill Canada / Penguin Canada
Format : Harcover
Source :  
** a copy was provided by Penguin Canada in exchange of an honest review**











My Opinion :


Under My Skin is Charles de Lint's newest novel. He has published many others (which I have not read).

Under My Skin was a pretty good book. I enjoyed it quite a lot! Don't let the cover scare you away (because it kind of did with me...). The cover doesn't do the book justice; the book is great.

Under My Skin is about Wildlings, or Cousins, or, if you want, shapeshifters. The story revolves around Josh, a new shapeshifter, and Marina, his best friend and 5 months old shifter. Marina didn't tell Josh about hr being a Wildling... but Josh told her right away. What is she supposed to do? The Wildlings are becoming more popular, due to the outburst of new Wildlings in Santa Féliz, and they are in danger. Then,  they meet other shapeshifters, and everything changes.

Under My Skin is the first novel in the Wildlings series, and I have to say, I can't wait to see what happens afterwards.

Fans of Kelley Armstrong's The Darkest Powers series will love this! I thought Kelley Armstrong'S series resembled this book a little. Just... the feel to it seemed the same. And, even though in Wildlings, they aren't running away from crazy people (they kind of are..), it just felt... the same. And, just so you you, I love that series, so, it'S a compliment!

Although the book was a good 409 pages, it was pretty much fast-paced, although sometimes it was a little boring, it was really great. I enjoyed most parts of it :D The writing was pretty simple; nothing that specail, but it was a really entertaining story, and I wanted to read the book faster to know what would happen (although, we didn't discover that much :S). I would ahve wanted to know why there had been an outburst of new Wildlings in Santa Féliz...

Although... there was something weird. Elzie, another Wildling girl, meets Josh, and after a day... they hook up. I mean, really? You were jsut saying Josh wasn't really confident and didn't really know how to talk to girls, and now he's hooking up with a girl he barely knows? I mean, first, you don't do tht in normal life. I mean, even though you feel like you are soulmates, you wait before hooking up (I mean, isn't that obvious!)!

Marina... I liked her enough. She was pretty much okay, although I wish she ahd told Jodh that she was a Wildling before! And I hope she ends up with him!

The other character were pretty okay, although some annoyed me, like Elzie kind of did... she said she didn't want a boyfriend, but... then she'S like a girlfriend to Josh? I mean, just try and make a real decision!


RATING:


4 roses!

Other book(s) by the author :



Author Bio : 


Charles de LintCharles de Lint (born December 22, 1951) is a World Fantasy Award winning author and is multi-talented in the following; 

- Author of Mythic Fiction and Urban Fantasy (novels, novellas, short stories, poetry, and lyrics) and essayist/critic/folklorists (writes book reviews for The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction.

- Music (plays multi-able instruments and sings and writes his own songs, together with wife MaryAnn - In 2011, de Lint released his first CD, Old Blue Truck

He loves to paint and draw as well...

He's also been a judge for the Nebula Award, the World Fantasy Award, the Theodore Sturgeon Award and the Bram Stoker Award. De Lint has taught creative writing workshops in Canada and the United States, and served as Writer-in-residence for two public libraries in Ottawa.

No comments:

Post a Comment