Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Water Wars : Book Review

Summary : 
Welcome to a future where water is more precious than gold or oil-and worth killing for.
Vera and her brother, Will, live in the shadow of the Great Panic, in a country that has collapsed from environmental catastrophe. Water is hoarded by governments, rivers are dammed, and clouds are sucked from the sky. But then Vera befriends Kai, who seems to have limitless access to fresh water. When Kai suddenly disappears, Vera and Will set off on a dangerous journey in search of him-pursued by pirates, a paramilitary group, and greedy corporations. Timely and eerily familiar, acclaimed author Cameron Stracher makes a stunning YA debut that's impossible to forget.

-GOODREADS

My Opinion : This book was actually pretty good. Although I am kind of scared that what happened it the book could happen in the future, I enjoyed the story. I like Cameron Stracher's writing. Somehow, I felt myself slipping into Vera, the main character and the story's narrator, character andpoint of view, which is really fun. I liked it a lot.

I liked the many details in the story which made it even more realistic due to the fact that I could imagine the scenes almost perfectly. An, there was a kind of complexity - as there always is when presented with a dystopian novel - that made me want more of the story. I love dystopian stories, such as Matched, The Host and of course Delirum (My favorite).

Let's get to the characters*. Vera - the main character and the story's narrator -  seemed to be whiny from the beginning. But as the story unrolled, she became more and more courageous. I also liked her relationship with Kai, or Rikkai. It began from simple friendship, to blushes and finally to kisses. I would of liked to have more information on their romantic relationship.

I think to resume it all, I enjoyed the book thoroughly and would like a sequel to it.

4/5 stars.

*Note: Please take in note that I won't be analyzing every character from a book from now on.





No comments:

Post a Comment